OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

97 Isuzu Rodeo: goes away when warm but more and more

I have 1 97 Isuzu Rodeo V6 with 155K miles. Over the last year or so I have noticed what sounds like a noisey valve, especially when the car is cold. Sometimes it goes away when warm but more and more it is always there. Its a tapping sound, like the noise old cars used to make when they had worn valve lifters. What's the minimum I can spend to get rid of this?

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

That is exactly what it sounds like to me. You may have some dirty lifter, you should try doing a flush on the car followed by a good oil change. You may also want to add some Lucas oil stabilizer, which will quite it down by quite a bit. Sounds like your oil retention is not very good, you may have a weak oil pump or the oil is simply too thin.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Online;

I took your advice on the engine flush and Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it worked perfectly! The engine is much quieter now. Just wanted to give you some feedback and thank you for saving me $$$$$.

Bill, San Diego
I am very glad it worked out for you.