OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

Car stalled..I was in slow moving traffic..same issue..carbon

Customer Question

My car stalled out when idoling, it was running a little hot but stalled 4 times in 1.5 miles, granted I was in slow moving traffic. I had the same issue about 2 months ago and brought it in, the shop replaced my battery and did a carbon cleaning. I know i need an oil change, but it also is giving me trouble starting when it is hot out (also when it stalled it was because it was hot outside as well). The oil light comes on when the weather is warm and the car is idoling, but as soon as i push the gas it goes off. The car is a 98 Chevy cavalier.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Have you check your oil level?

The fact the oil light is coming on indicates that it had low oil pressure. This maybe due to low oil or a bad oil pump. If you have enough oil in the car, you may want to check and see if it's still lubricating. If the oil life is low and the oil retention is not as good it will also indicate a low oil pressure.

I would strongly encourage you to go and have your oil change done. You also may consider adding some lucas oil stabilizer to your oil change as that will help retain much more oil and the parts will receive much better lubrication.