OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

GF: blew..fuses..it, she drove it and then saw smoke

My GF installed the wrong #fuse in her car after the origonal one blew. she didnt think those little numbers on the fuses meant anything (dont ask). anyway, after the incorrect fuse amp was put it, she drove it and then saw smoke. when i pulled it, it had melted. Now the AC, dome light, reverse tail lights dont work. i checked bulbs and they''re in tact. when you turn the a/c on, you can hear and tell that the compressor doesnt even start. are we screwed or can i check for a burnt through wire or burnt out relay somewhere? thanks. oh, the car is a 1993 Dodge Spirit.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

This maybe a fusible link faliur. In some cases the link serves as a additional protection on top of the fuses. If the link blew it may have saved the components otherwise it will be very hard to track down the problem.

Replacement

The main wiring harnesses are equipped with fusible links to protect against harness damage should a short circuit develop.

Never replace a fusible link with standard wire. Only fusible link wire of the correct gauge with hypalon insulation should be used.

On newer vehicles, the fusible links are easily identified by their markings

Click to Enlarge

When a fusible link blows, it is very important to locate and repair the short. Do not just replace the link to correct the problem.

Always disconnect battery negative cable when servicing the electrical system.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Cut off the remaining portion of the blown fusible link flush with the multiple connection insulator. Take care not to cut any of the other fusible links.

3. Carefully remove about one inch of insulation from the main harness wire at a point one inch away from the connection insulator.

4. Remove one inch of insulation from the replacement fusible link wire and wrap the exposed area around the main harness wire at the point where the insulation was removed.

5. Heat the splice with a high temperature soldering gun and apply resin type solder until it runs freely. Remove the soldering gun and confirm that a "bright'' solder joint has been made. Resolder if "cold'' (dull) joint has occurred.

6. Cut the other end of the fusible link off at a point just behind the small single wire insulator. Strip one inch of insulation from fusible link and connection wires. Wrap and solder.

7. After the connections have cooled, wrap the splices with at least three layers of electrical tape.

WARNING

Click to Enlarge

Always detach battery negative cable when servicing the electrical system.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic