Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

96 Hyundai Elantra: other gauges..wiper..turn signal..tranny in gear

Customer Question

I have a 96 Hyundai Elantra, manual transmission, when I push in the clutch and change gears the electrical system will cut off. My lights, music, and all other gauges will also cut off but then as I''m continuing driving it will just come back on. Now when I crank the car everything is working but if I turn on the wiper blades or turn on the turn signal the power will cut off but the battery is good so when I crank the car up everything will then come back on until I push in the clutch and put the tranny in gear then the power will cut off again. Again my battery is good so the car still runs but the power is off from all the rest of the car. What do you think is wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Take a piece of 10 gauge wire and make a connection between the body of the car and the engine block (make sure there is no paint at the body connection to block the flow). See if that stops the problem. I suspect you have a failed body ground and now the car is getting it's ground through the clutch cable, when you move the cable, you lose connection. If the jumper wire fixes it, either search for the bad ground or make the jumper permanent.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The negative cable that I replaced is already on the engine block to secure the ground to the car. Would this be the same as the jumper wire that you suggested?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
The cable goes to the block, does it go to the body also??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It goes to the battery terminal but there is a small cable from that wire that has nothing on it. Is that the wire that I need to put on the body as well?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, connect that negative wire to the body.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much, it worked and I'll definitely come back to this website in the future.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using JA.