Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

PONTIAC: TRANS..THE ALARM AND ONE OF THEM MAKE A GRINDING NOISE..OFF.

I HAVE A PONTIAC 2000 TRANS AM AND THE LIGHTS ONE DAY JUST STARTED TO FLIP UP WHEN I SET THE ALARM AND ONE OF THEM MAKE A GRINDING NOISE WHEN IT IS TURNED OFF. HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS AND HOW CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
The grinding noise is from bad motor gears. They wear over time and begin to slip. Once this happens the position sensor in the motor gets out of sync and the lights do strange things. In your case, they show partially open so the original delay that occurred when you set the alarm is no longer active, so they rotate up. If both motors grind, you need both.