mastertechtim
mastertechtim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified Technician, GM certified Skilled Technician, L1 certified, Shop Owner
8379021

1995 Mazda Protege: The check engine light is..Parts Store..diagnostic

Customer Question

I am selling a 1995 Mazda Protege. The check engine light is on so I took the car to a Car Parts Store and got a diagnostic. There were three problems: EGR system fault (Exhaust Gas Recircuation; a Mazda Trouble Code B13B8 and a Mazda Trouble Code P00FF. He couldn''t give me any info on the codes. The car has 120,000+ miles and I want to know if you could possibly tell me what the problems are so I''ll now whether or not I should make the repairs or sell as is at a very discounted (giveaway) price.
Category: Car
Expert:  mastertechtim replied 6 years ago.
by the codes i cant tell you for sure exactly what the problem is, only my educated guess. your codes are for the egr valve system which can be caused by either a vacuum hose a malfunctioning egr electrical solenoid or the egr valve and or passage way could be clogged. the average cost to repair this is about $200 on the high end. take this into consideration on the selling price. also this vehicle needs to be tested on the dyno because of the year and it doesnt matter if the check engine light is on. 1996 is when they started checking inspections through the aldl connector on the vehicle. i hope this helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to mastertechtim's Post: What is the Dyno? I was told that the diagnostic procedure was changed in 1996 and he wouldn't be able to test my car but the machine worked anyway.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I mentioned the problem with the EGR system because that was explained to me by the person who performed the diagnostic, I was asking about the other two unknown codes that didn't list any details.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't accepted your response yet because you didn't address my questions about the two codes I mentioned. I knew about the EGR system problem and I was inquiring about the codes that were unrelated because they did not have access to the 1995 Mazda fault codes.
im sorry but i cant find those other codes in any database i have looked in. i researched alldata and mitchell on demand, both dont acknowledge those codes exist. obd2 codes are similar in all vehicles and those codes i have never heard of.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He used the OBDII and I have the printed record and I copied the two codes from the screen. He didn't know what they meant and that's why I consulted your company. I really don't feel that telling me that you know nothing about the codes either is a basis for me to accept.
unfortunately the diagnostics that you got from the parts store are incorrect. these are definately not obd2 codes. the scan tool they use costs about 50 dollars and is the very basic you can get. i use that scanner myself for real fast code retrieval but a lot of the times it gives incorrect information, its easy for me to tell because what the scan tool code number i see does not match the code description, in these cases i have to install my scan tool that costs $8,500. it takes a few minutes longer to retrieve the information i need but it is accurate. i can assure you that the codes you gave me are inaccurate. my suggestion if you really want to get to the bottom of your code problem, that you take vehicle to a repair station that can hook it up to the better scan tool. i hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to Auto Zone. The primary problem (EGR system) was diagnosed using the scan tool so I don't understand why the other problems were misdiagnosed.
again they used a 50 dollar generic scan tool and i use a 8500 dollar scan tool.