OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

2004 lincoln ls: i have a large vacume leak..auto zone..oxygen sensor

i have a 2004 lincoln ls i took it to a shop and they said i have a large vacume leak then i took it to auto zone for a free engine lgt check and it came back and said i need a oxygen sensor.should i take it to the dealer to be fix and how much do you think it would cost.    tx
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The vacuum leak would show the car as running lean. Because air is coming in after the Mass air flow registers it there now is more air than fuel. The computer would pick this up with the oxygen sensor and it would show a bad oxygen sensor.

I suggest you taking it to the dealer and fixing the leak. I don't know where it's leaking from so it's hard to give you a ball park figure. However it could be as simple as a hose and it could be a intake manifold gasket so price range $100 - $400 is your ball park figure.