Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired

How do I adjust the clutch on a 1970 Chevy truck Is ...

How do I adjust the clutch on a 1970 Chevy truck? Is there an adjustment other than the linkage?

Sorry, the linkage from the arm to the pedal pivot is the only adjustment there is. If the clutch has started slipping chances are really good that the disc is burnt and the pressure plate has lost its spring tension. You will end up having to replace the assembly. When you do, be sure that you have the fly wheel surfaced so you don't end up burning the new disc out because of hot spots or uneven spots in the fly wheel. Below is what it says in the book about clutch adjustment. Thanks

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Clutch pedal free-play adjustment - 1970-72 vehicles

Only one adjustment is necessary to assure that the clutch operates efficiently. This adjustment is for the amount of free clutch pedal travel before the throwout bearing contacts the clutch fingers. The pedal should be adjusted at periodic intervals to provide 3/4-1 in. of free pedal travel.

1. Disconnect the clutch fork return spring at the fork.

2. Loosen the nut (A) and back it off approximately 1/2 in. from the swivel.

3. Hold the clutch fork pushrod against the fork to move the throwout bearing against the clutch fingers. The pushrod will slide through the swivel at the cross-shaft.

4. Rotate the lever until the clutch pedal contacts the bumper mounted on the parking brake support.

5. Adjust nut (B) to obtain 1/4 in. clearance between nut (B) and the swivel.

6. Release the pushrod, connect the return spring and tighten nut (A) to lock the swivel against nut (B).

7. Check the free pedal travel at the pedal and readjust as necessary.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hey Bob!

So what do I need to replace? Do I just ask for the clutch assembly and then have the flywheel resurfaced?

Normally a kit will only include a clutch disc and a pressure plate. I would also replace the throw out and pilot bearings while I was there just as a matter of insurance. And yes, remove the fly wheel and have it surfaced. Most machine shops that turn brake drums and rotors will be able to surface the flywheel for you too. Thanks