Warren, Technician
Experience:  27 years expriance in all aspects of repair and customization of cars and trucks

2001 mitsubishi eclipse: would run fine..oxygen sensor

Customer Question

My 2001 mitsubishi eclipse will not start. I was having problems with it starting it would crank and crank and crank like forever before it would start but after it got started it would run fine. Went and got the cpu codes read at my local advanced auto and it was showing the oxygen sensor and crankshaft position sensor. Got them new. Still didn''t start rite.Then soon after that it just quit starting all together.Took it to a garage and they said they thought it needed a new CPU got that and now the guy is saying that this new reader that he just bought is saying that something is wrong with the immobilizer. I would appreciate it if you could pass some of your knowlege here on what you think could be up. I''m beginning to believe it''s something security wise.
Category: Car
Expert:  Warren replied 8 years ago.
HICustomerbr /> After you replace the ECM on Mitshubishi's, the ECM and Immobilizer (IMM) must be re-coded together. that is the reason the mechanic is now getting a code for the Immobilzer(IMM). If you were not gettign this code prior to replacing the ECM. Then the security system is not causing your not start issue. If you had a code for the crankshaft sensor i would love at that, you may have a wiring harness problem with the crank sensor. There was a recall on this car for the wiring harness rubbing against the heat sheild. Yuou can unbolt the Coolant reservoir bottle and move it to the side to get a better view of the crank sensor harness. I hope this all helps your pleas click accept if it does
Warren, Technician
Experience: 27 years expriance in all aspects of repair and customization of cars and trucks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how do I recode the ecm and immobilizer together
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Hello Armylife,the ECM must be reprogramed at the Mitsubishi dealer,the factory tool must be used . You may find you still have a no start problem after it is done,since you had a code for a crank sensor and replacing it didn't fix the problem. That is the problem with going to Advance or Autozone and having a scan done, they pull a code that indicates a part ,then sell you the part. The correct way to do this is to get codes,then follow the chart for that code. It will have you test wiring and connectors before installing a part. We see this all the time,a few parts have been installed,then the car is brought to the shop,only to find a broken wire somewhere. I hope this answer will help get you back on the road,jerry.