mastertechtim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified Technician, GM certified Skilled Technician, L1 certified, Shop Owner

Hyundai: It runs well! intermittantly, it will not shift out of park

Customer Question

I have a Hyundai 1995. It runs well! Intermittantly, it will not shift out of park into any other gear. I have tried many things like wiggling the steering wheel, stepping on brake etc. but it won't budge. Then, the next person who tries (may be me) is able to smoothly get it to shift, as if there were no problem. What is this and how can I fix it?
Category: Car
Expert:  mastertechtim replied 8 years ago.
most common cause for this problem is a faulty brake light switch. this is what sends voltage to the release solenoid. they are a constantly moving part so over time they wear out. usually the ignition key will fit into that hole to let you over ride the shifter interlock. hope this helps
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where is this switch located?
right above the brake pedal. when you look under the dash and press the pedal you will see the switch moving.