automstr
automstr, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech
8300270

2004 nsx: a noise from intake manifold area that sounds..disconnected

my 2004 nsx has a noise from intake manifold area that sounds like something is disconnected do you know what that could be ?
Category: Car
Expert:  automstr replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. have you changed the air filter from stock? is the check engine light on? is this noise new? if so when did it start ?.there arent a lot of places that air can leak from on this engine let me know and ill do my best to help you figure it put .

automstr, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ASE master tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the noise is new and it started a week ago I have owned the car for 2 years. it happens when i accelerate and the noise is louder when i punch the gas pedal and the noise is consistant. there is no warning light on and it is a stock air filter. the vehicle is completly stock.
Expert:  automstr replied 6 years ago.
have you have rechecked the air filter housing and made sure the resonator isn't off the air filter housing or picked any debris in the screen under the air filter. also here's the diagram and tests for the intake air system when these fail the engines will make noise maybe one of these vacuum lines is off .start there and let me know .noises are hard over the inter net but these engines are pretty tight i think we can figure it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to acuramstr's Post: I am being told the this noise is normal,does it sound normal ? I hit the gas pedal there is a loud air intake noise and then the rpm's race. the next step is to take the intake components apart and inspect piece by piece. do you have any suggestions for the tech at the dealership...I am a service advisor for BMW,trying not act like one of my clients.
Expert:  automstr replied 6 years ago.
these have a lot of intake noise as a rule and it does change pitch and volume when the v-tec kicks on. but it should have been this way from the time you bought it . the tech at the dealer should know what an nsx sounds like if he has experience with these cars .I would make sure the tech has nsx experience. these cars were limited production vehicles and we don't see them every day. I would start by having the tech check the air intake system and the air filter components for proper installation to start .he may also want to smoke check the intake system to check for leaks as well. other than that i would make sure there are no restrictions in the intake system like bags or paper sucked into the air intake. let me know what you find.