RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified.

2001 chevy monte carlo: I have no power the fuel pump at all

i have a 2001 chevy monte carlo and the fuel pump will not come on. I have no power the fuel pump at all?
Category: Car
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 8 years ago.

I will send you the schematic so you can see how things are wired on your car. Hopefully, this will get you closer to finding the problem.

If this is the information you were looking for, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit for helping you today. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Object Number: 651486  Size: FS

Object Number: 669519  Size: FS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RussMasterTech's Post: do you have any idea more than just giving me a schematic

Are you familiar with wiring schematics? Everything you need to know is in the schematic. It shows you where the relay gets its power from, what connectors are involved in the circuit. It shows you what controls the relay.

I would be checking the fuse block terminals for the fuel pump relay for the correct voltages. If you look at the small schematic on the relay, it shows you 4 or 5 circuits.

Curcuits 85 and 86 control the coil to the relay. Circuits 87 and 30 are the supply for the fuel pump. For the relay to work, the relay control circuits need to have a power and a ground. The pcm supplies the ground, so with the ignition on and the engine cranking, you should be able to get a test light to light if you put one end on 85 and the other end on 86.

If the test lamp lights, and the relay clicks, then you need to make sure you have voltage available at the fuel pump relay fuse in the fuse block under the hood. It should be very close to the fuel pump relay itself. Check for voltage at the fuse.

If you have voltage at the fuse, and the relay clicks, and you still have no power getting back to the gray wire at the fuel pump, then you have a broken wire between the fuse block under the hood, and the fuel pump.

I can't be more specific than that. Electrical problems like this sound they would be simple to fix and find, but they involve some detective work.

Let me know what you find out.

I'm here to help. You just need to let me know what you need help with.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The relay never clicked and yes I can read the wiring diagram, to be frank I was being lazy. I have no power any where and i really do believe it is pointing towards the PCM, without a ground your screwed. I will let you what i find out tomorrow.

If you don't have power in several places, one thing that is very common on your car is the ignition switch.

Look at the first schematic I sent. If none of those fuses have power, there's a good chance the ignition switch is the culprit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RussMasterTech's Post: The only place that I'm not getting power is at the relay. The fuses are good. I jumpperewd the 87 and 30 spots and the pump came on and the car started. i also force the coil to entergize and the pump came on. The PCM, Fuel Pump, fuses, and relays are all new.....

Look at the schematic and test the relay control circuit between the pcm and the relay. It has to be open.

It's going to be up to you to find the broken wire. I can't do that for you. You could run a new wire to bypass the broken one so you don't have to find the break.

I know I haven't identified the exact location of the problem, but I've given you the tools and information to find the problem. Could you please make sure the click the "Accept" button so I receive credit for what we have done so far? I receive no credit or payment until you do click "Accept".

You can still reply after you click accept, just so you know.