OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

how to set timing on 92 mitsubishi mighty max truck

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.
  1. Remove the access plug in the block, on the left side, and install the holding tool, MOT 861 in the hole. Rotate the crankshaft slowly, clockwise, until the tool drops into the TDC locating slot in the crankshaft counterweight.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: TDC locating tool

Don't use this tool as a crankshaft holding tool. When tightening or loosening geartrain fasteners, use a flywheel holding tool, such as tool MOT 582.

1. Install sprocket holding tool, MOT 854 to retain the camshaft and injection pump sprockets. Make sure that the timing marks are positioned as shown.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Camshaft and injection pump timing marks aligned

1. Install the timing belt. There should be a total of 19 belt teeth between the camshaft and injection pump timing marks.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Indexing the timing cover slots with the sprockets

1. Temporarily position the timing cover over the sprockets. The camshaft and injection pump timing marks must index with the pointers in the cover's timing slots.

2. Remove the cover.

3. Remove the holding tool, MOT 854.

4. Make sure that the timing belt tensioner bolts are 1/2 turn loose, maximum.

5. The tensioner should, automatically, bear against the belt giving the proper belt tension. Tighten the tensioner bolts.

6. Remove the TDC locating tool and install the plug.

7. Rotate the crankshaft, slowly, CLOCKWISE, two complete revolutions.

NEVER rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise while adjusting belt tension.

1. Loosen the tensioner bolts 1/8 turn, maximum, then tighten them again.

2. Check the belt deflection at a point midway between the camshaft and injection pump sprockets. The belt should deflect 1.37 inches (35mm).

3. Install the timing belt cover.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my gear are in different positions one is over the crank shaft and a small one to the right of the crank saft at the 3 o'clock position
Do you have a TDC spot and do you see the hash marks on the gears?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this did not help me

Sorry let me see if I can get someone else to help you with this. I will opt out and try to find a new expert for you.

*Please not that you will not be charge for the information that i have provided.

Thank you and I am sorry.