ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

exact location crankshaft position sensor, 91 olds 3.1ltr

exact location crankshaft position sensor, 91 olds 3.1ltr t&what needs to be removed to acess sensor
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
  1. It is on the bottom front of the engine behind the harmonic balancer. Here are instructions for changing it.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Remove the serpentine drive belt from the crankshaft pulley.

4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

5. Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly and the right inner fender access cover/splash shield.

6. Using a 28mm socket, remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer retaining bolt.

7. Remove the crankshaft balancer, using a puller if necessary. Do NOT pry on it, it should slide right off.

8. For 1992-99 vehicles, remove the CKP sensor shield.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: If so equipped, remove the crankshaft position sensor shield

1. Unplug the sensor electrical connector.

2. For 1987-91 vehicles, perform the following:

1. Remove the sensor and pedestal from the block face.

2. Remove the sensor from the pedestal.

3. For 1992-99 vehicles, remove the sensor from the block face.

To install:

1. For 1987-91 vehicles, perform the following:

2. Loosely install the crankshaft sensor on the pedestal.

3. Position the sensor, with the pedestal attached, on crankshaft sensor installation tool J 37089 or equivalent.

4. Install the bolt to hold the pedestal to the block face, then tighten to 14-28 ft. lbs. (20-40 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 7: Position the crankshaft sensor tool on the crankshaft

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 8: Insert the crankshaft sensor tool into the harmonic balancer

5. Tighten the pedestal pinch bolt to 30-35 inch lbs. (3-4 Nm).

6. Remove the special tool.

7. Place the crankshaft sensor tool on the crankshaft balancer and turn. If any vane on the harmonic balancer touches the tool, replace the balancer.

1. For 1992-99 vehicles, install the CKP sensor on the block.

1. Install the retaining bolts and tighten to 14-28 ft. lbs. (20-40 Nm).

2. Install the crankshaft position sensor shield.

3. Attach the sensor electrical connector.

2. Install the balancer on the crankshaft.

3. Tighten the crankshaft bolt to 200-239 ft. lbs. (270-325 Nm) for 1987-91 vehicles. For 1992-99 vehicles, tighten to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm), plus an additional 7° rotation.

4. Install the inner fender shield and the right tire and wheel assembly.

5. Carefully lower the vehicle.

6. Install the serpentine belt.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.