ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

Removing the Idler Pulley from my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...

Customer Question

Removing the Idler Pulley from my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 6 cynlinder, is it backed with a bolt or screwed into the block/
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
If it is only the idler pulley you're changing, it should only be the bolt in the center of it. just remove the bolt, and put it in the new pulley, and put it back on the engine.

There is no backup nut on it. They are pretty tight, though, usually have some thread locker on them too.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anykind of insert or sleeve that the pulley sits over when it is mounted. Because it appears that the Bushing that the pulley road on is stuck to the mounting surface. What should I be looking for or should i do.
You have the bolt out, but the pulley won't come off??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The pulley came off, but it appears that the bushing that the barings ride on is stuck to the mounting surface.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What would you recommend that I do to get this (I Guess) bushing from the idler pulley off the mounting surface?
So it's galled up, huh?

The bearing locked up, and the pulley came off...???

In this situation, the only thing you can do is get a couple pry bars, and wiggle it off there. If you have the bolt out of the center, it will come off. I have been in this situation a couple times, and it does take some 'persuasion' to get it loose. Just gonna have to work at it, and when you put the new one on there, coat the inside part with a little bit of high temp grease, in case it happens again, it will be easier to get off.

Have you tried wd-40, and tapping it a little to break it loose? or am I picturing the wrong thing, here?
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think you got the right idea, but I tried tapping it last night to get it off, but it is really stuch and will take a little more persuasion to get it loose. I do have one last question if it is permitted? Inside the Jeep I have this high pitch whine that goes on and off, also I have lost most of the Dispaly in the center console, any idea?
That would be a hard one to call. Sounds don't work very good oner the internet. I would start with checking relays and such. When you find one that is a little warmer than the others, you have found one with a problem. Low voltage type problems would cause components to make noise.

But this is something you will definately have to do some exploratory work to find. The way I do it is get a short length of hose (about 2-3 feet long), to use as a stethoscope, and point it towards the direction of the noise. One end on your ear, and the other towards the noise... When you find it, it will be loud enough to be obvious. Or you can feel around for heat. When you feel a 'hot spot' you have definately found a problem but the hose trick is better, by far.