Hog Rider
Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience:  Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's
3959815

Mazda MPV: Van..Automatic..the gear shift stuck in Park..runs fine

Customer Question

I have a Mazda MPV Van 2003 Automatic. When we got home and put it in park the gear shift stuck in Park. Went to start it up the next morning runs fine, just could not get the shift out of Park. Found the opening on the column to press and release the shift so we can put it in drive. However everytime we put it in Park it locks up again. What is the problem, we think it might be the relay switch, but if it is do not know which one and where is it located? What can you tell us. The dealership said to have it towed in and they would look at it. They did not even bother to tell us about the release so we could drive it in.
Category: Car
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

The Relay is easily replaced just like the old turnsignal flashers !

The hard part is getting to it

graphic

graphic

Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience: Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt answer. My husband thinks it might be a fuse could you advise which fuse and where it is that would handle the shift park release. Also just for your info the emergency release is on the upper side of the shift column close to the dash board.

Arleen
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 6 years ago.

Sure !!!Wink

ENGINE COMPARTMENT

graphic

FUSE PANEL graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Hog Rider's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just using the release, hadn't had time yet to look for the fuse/relay. However went to get a safety inspection found we had no brake lights. Replaced that fuse and guess what. It also released the Parking lock. The book did not say that the Stop light fuse is also the Parking Shifter lock. Anyway thanks for your prompt replies.

Arleen
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 6 years ago.
Your Welcome ...Cool