MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree

My car wont start. A loud clicking noise is all

My car won''t start. A loud clicking noise is all I get. Battery is fine. WHat is my problem?

Hi there,

What is the year, make, and model of your vehicle? Have you tested the battery to make sure it is in good condition?

Thanks. Let me know and I will see if I can help you out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MikeB85's Post: 2005 Chrysler Pacifica.

ALl the lights come on, etc., so I am assuming it's not the battery
The clicking that you are hearing is the starter motor solenoid engaging. That is a good sign that the solenoid is getting power. But before going any further I would load test the battery to make sure that is up to par. Also check the terminals to make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. Sometimes having a weak battery will give the vehicle enough power to work all of the lights and accessories along with the starter solenoid but it will not have enough power to engage the starter to turn the engine over. If everything with the battery checks out ok then I would assume that it is a problem with the starter motor itself. If you don't have anything to test the battery you can either rent or buy a tester from a local parts store such as auto zone. You can also remove the battery and take it there to have them test it to ensure that it is good. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.