Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1989 chevy cavalier: the 2.0 liter 4 cyl engine..auto trans..slower

Customer Question

I have a 1989 chev cavalier with the 2.0 liter 4 cyl engine and mx1 auto trans. I had a new alt and battery put in about 6 months ago and when i hit the key it would spin over like crazy. About a week ago i could tell it was turning over slower and slower but would still start. I charged the battery and it didn''t help so this morning i cleaned the terminals before trying to start it. With that done i tried to start it and it won''t even click the starter. i had my wife hit the key while i listened to the starter and there is nothing happening no click, no frying sound, nothing. Thank you for your time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your Cavalier.

Do the headlights stay on bright when you try starting it?

Did you try it in different gears, automatic trans?

Can you check for power at the starter, (terminal s) with a 12v test light?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I tried the headlights and they did not dim when I tried the starter but the starter did turn the engine just barely over. This car only has about 70000 miles on it so I bit the bullet and pulled the starter. The brushes are wore to nothing so I think I have a pretty good idea that this is my problem.
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

Good Job!!

Just let us know if you ever need anything. Thank you for using Just answer.com

Please disregard any email reminder that you may recieve.