OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

2007 DODGE NITRO 4.0 V-6 ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

If it's a knocking noise it could be due to two different things. Low grade/bad fuel, if you run fuel that has not sufficent ocatne the engine will start knocking. You shoud try adding a octane booster. The other things is the lifter has gotten clogged, or the oil used is wrong density. You should run a motor flush and add proper oil, a good idea is lucas oil stabilzer. Lucas will retain much more of the oil helping the eninge run smoothly and without noise.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE KNOCKING NOISE IS A NOISE THAT SOME R/T 4.0 V-6 DODGE NITRO'S HAVE,I'M NOT ALONE BUT THE FACTORY HAS NOT TOLD THE SERVICE DEPARTMENTS WHAT IT IS SO IT CAN BE REPAIRED. I BOUGHT THIS NEW AND HAVE BEEN TO TWO SERVICE DEPARTMENTS AND THEY LISTEN TO IT AND SCRATCH THERE HEADS. I HAVE BEEN A MECHANIC AND SERVICE MANAGER FOR OVER 30 YEARS,THEY THINK IF THEY TEAR INTO IT THEY WON'T FIND IT??

PAT

They will find it. This car is under warranty and this is not acceptable. Have them solve the problem. Let me check the lifter, i have a feeling the lifter that the car came with may have too small opening. Have them resolve the issue as i am sure you have pay big money for it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NOBODY HAS GIVEN ME ANY INFORMATION I CAN USE YET.......THANKS ,PAT