Scott
Scott, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master ,Chrysler Master, 33yrs experience

2000 dodge Intrepid: the water pump went out,well the coolet..oil pan

My car is a 2000 dodge Intrepid,2.7. A few months ago the water pump went out,well the coolet went into the oil pan .( note the water pump runs off the timing chain)Guess you now what happened $$.IT runs fine cold but once she warms up it''s a different story,dies out, misfires,oil light,engine light codes are P1391 and P0356                   any help (great) thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello, P-1391 is intermittent loss of cam or crank position sensor signal, P- 0356 is loss of cyl 6 ignition coil. We have seen several times where the wrong type / year of engine was installed. There are two types of computer systems used, The SBEC type and the NGC type. These two are not interchangable. What was replaced during the repair? the heads? Block Engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no major parts replaced,where do I look for the cumputer type,It,s a R VIN.How do I find out if the the c system matches the engine type
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

If you had no major parts replaced your ok .It would have to have the heads or crankshaft replaced to get the wrong parts installed. If I had unlimited cash. Now I am wishing!

I would have wiring connectors at the engine computer checked for proper connections. If the tab that holds/ latches the connector to the computer is broken or missing , a loose connection happens and these codes may set. The connector should not move or slide away from the computer when its pulled on slightly. We have used silicone gasket adhesive to glue then in place or used hot glue . If the connectors and latches are ok,I would have the computer scanned to see what sensor fails first or , I would replace the cam and crank sensor , inspect and replace or rebuild the connector at #6 coil . Dont overlook any wiring that may have been rubbing on the pulleys or misrouted when the car was repaired before.

If I could only afford one sensor I would choose the cam sensor, these fail more often in Arizona . Then I would let the car find a new home and stay away from the 2.7l motor forever. We have seen this engine fail more than any other.

If you need more info or help. please ask, And Thanks , Scott.

Scott, Auto Service Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Master ,Chrysler Master, 33yrs experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks,Over the last 3 yrs I've sworn to myself I'll never buy a Dodge again,it's a dream to drive,rides great,but a mech. and owners nightmareAS you may now just the tools to replace the timing chain is over $700.What would   you do to   increase the oil pressure,heaver oil maybe trying 10w 40w instead of 5w 30w
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
Yes use heavy oil and replace the sending unit , It may be weak . Again you can have the oil pressure checked just to be sure its ok. But this car needs another home. There are some cool new dodges and chrysler now. and no more 2.7L for you. You may get a good trade in a new or used car or truck and not have to explain or disclose any problems with your car, Happens all the time. Best of luck, And if you need more help. Just ask, I will answer after a good nights rest and a hard days work. Scott.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so sorry Scott I've had great luck with GM,the Intrerip is my wife car/no BS.my next car 1968-70 SS Chevelle.If I was a Mopar man a 440 HEMI.superbee charger.Both were great,only one drawback,niether one could pass a gas pump.One good pt, I never lost to a Ford or Jap car.thanks again Ron