Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

91 BUICK REGAL: IT WONT STAY STARTED I..STARTS BUT sputters..SHUTS

HELLO XXXXX ME MARK
I HAVE A 91 BUICK REGAL 3.8 IT STARTS BUT WHEN I PUMP THE ECELERATOR IT WON''T STAY STARTED I RECENTLY REPLACE THE AIR OXEGEN SENSOR ...IT STARTS BUT SPUTTERS ALOT THEN SHUTS OFF ANY ADVICE...
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Hello Mark and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your Regal.

Do you know what the fuel pressure is?

Are there any trouble codes?

Have you checked the fuel filter? How many miles on it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SOMEONE @ THE AUTO STORE TOLD ME IT COULD BE THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR,BUT THEN I WAS TOLD IT COULD BE THE FUEL PUMP THE CAR HAS 168K ON IT BUT RAN VERY GOOD UP UNTIL THAT POINT IT STILL STARTS BUT WONT STAY STARTED FOR LONG FUEL PRESURE IS LOCATED ON THE TO OF MY ENGINE ...WHAT ARE TROUBLE CODES...AND HOW DO I FINE THEM
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

It does sound like a fuel pressure type of concern. In anycase, you would want to be sure there are no codes. You can do that like this. The ALDL connector is;

Front seating area, driver side, under dash, mounted above brake pedal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: ALDL connector - 1988-92 models

The Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL) connector or Data Link Connector (DLC) may be located under the dash and sometimes covered with a plastic cover labeled DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR.

1. The diagnostic trouble codes can be read by grounding test terminal B. The terminal is most easily grounded by connecting it to terminal A (internal ECM ground). This is the terminal to the right of terminal B on the top row of the ALDL connector.

2. Once the terminals have been connected, the ignition switch must be moved to the ON position with the engine not running.

3. The Service Engine Soon or Check Engine light should be flashing. If it isn't, turn the ignition OFF and remove the jumper wire. Turn the ignition ON and confirm that light is now on. If it is not, replace the bulb and try again. If the bulb still will not light, or if it does not flash with the test terminal grounded, the system should be diagnosed by an experienced driveability technician. If the light is OK, proceed as follows.

4. The code(s) stored in memory may be read through counting the flashes of the dashboard warning lamp. The dash warning lamp should begin to flash Code 12. The code will display as one flash, a pause and two flashes. Code 12 is not a fault code. It is used as a system acknowledgment or handshake code; its presence indicates that the ECM can communicate as requested. Code 12 is used to begin every diagnostic sequence. Some vehicles also use Code 12 after all diagnostic codes have been sent.

5. After Code 12 has been transmitted 3 times, the fault codes, if any, will each be transmitted 3 times. The codes are stored and transmitted in numeric order from lowest to highest.

The order of codes in the memory does not indicate the order of occurrence.

1. If there are no codes stored, but a driveability or emissions problem is evident, the system should be diagnosed by an experienced driveability technician.

2. If one or more codes are stored, record them. Refer to the applicable Diagnostic Code chart in this section.

3. Switch the ignition OFF when finished with code retrieval or scan tool readings.