Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

What year and model Saturn?

Engine size?

Mileage?

Recent repairs?

Is the Check Engine light on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What year and model Saturn?
1998
SL2

Engine size?
4 cylinder

Twin Cam
16 Value

Mileage?
126,

Recent repairs?
replaced Throttle Body
tune up

Is the Check Engine light on?
NO
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Did replacing the throttle body have any effect on the problem?

Auto or manual transmission?

Does it just shut off or does it stutter/jerk and then stall?

Does it start right back up?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

at first it didn't stop an much and now it stops alot

Auto or manual transmission?
Auto

stutter , jerk and then stall?

Does it start right back up?
yes! and them run real good and when i come to a light or stop sign then it stutter/jerk and then stall?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Does it stall at EVERY stop or just after you cruise for a little bit and then stop?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sometimes it'll stall 3 or 4 times in a row and then
drives good for a while(30 min or so)then stall again
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Ok, this sounds like your EGR valve is sticking partially open. You can remove it fairly easily to have a look. I recommend replacing the gasket while you have it off. You should be able to push the center pintle in easily with your finger and it should pop right back out. If it is hard to push or does not pop all the way back out and make a good seal then you can try cleaning the EGR valve pintle. Also, disconnect the battery during this process.

I usually use an old tootbrush and some carb cleaner spray. You can spray some in a small container and then put the valve in facing down like it is installed in the engine. Then let it soak for a while. You only need 1/4 to 1/2 inch of cleaner in the container to work against the carbon buildup on the pintle. After it soaks scrub it with the toothbrush or other item to remove the carbon. When it looks clean and moves easily install it back on the engine with the new gasket.