Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

I have a 1999 Saturn SC2 with daylight running lights ...

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Saturn SC2 with daylight running lights (DRL). The daylight running lights appear to work just fine but when you turn on the headlight switch the right side brightens, but the left side dims (Very Dim) both high and low beams. There is 12 volts at the left side. I pulled the (DLR) relay while the light switch was on and the left side went out but the right stayed on. Do you know what might be causing this problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Are you using a meter or test light for checking the 12v?

Do all other interior and exterior lights work correctly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: I am using a meter, and all other lights work fine.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
What happens if you use the "flash to pass" mode for the headlights? Do both highbeams operate correctly then?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mazda Ed I just release that in my initial question I have left and right backwards. It is the left side that works and the right that is messed up. When you pull the lever to flash to pass with the head lights off, left low beam brightens and left high beam stays off, while the right low beam dims and the right high beam comes on also dim.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Ok, just so we are on the same page.... Driver side is working correctly in all modes.

Except in flash to pass, the driver side low beam comes on and both right beams come on?

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Also, try removing the DRL relay and trying the flash to pass mode and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: Yes that is correct. Driver side works passenger side doesn't. Both passenger beams come on very dim when flash to pass.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: With DRL relay removed passenger side doesn't work in flash to pass. Not even dim.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Ok, with the DRL relay installed. Check the voltage at the "R HDLP" fuse. Leave the fuse installed, just measure at the top of the fuse with the headlights turned on. It sounds like there is high resistance in the circuit. It could also be in the DRL relay, it uses 2 different contacts for DRL or headlight operation. Try swapping with another relay that looks the same (5 pin) I think it is a black case. If there isn't another one of these relays handy then try a 4 pin relay temporarily. This should allow headlight operation but not DRL operation.
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the accept, did we find the problem?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mazda Ed's Post: Yes...I for got the first thing about checking electrical problems and that is to check all the fuses. Fuse "R HDLP" was blown. What is really wierd is it had 5.9 volts on one side and 1.9 volts on the other. I guess i need to remember that the new cars aren't like the old cars where they only had one fuse for things. I never thought there could be seperate fuses for LH and RH headlights. Thanks for your help. A new fuse and everything is working fine. I was very impressed with this format and will return to this sight. Thanks.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Outstanding! Glad we got it fixed. It's kind of crazy how things are wired sometimes. Feel free to request me on any of your future problems.