CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

1998 Chrysler Town & Country: rear window..power windows..dealership

Customer Question

The passenger window and rear window tilt-out on my 1998 Chrysler Town & Country Mini Van don''t work. All other power & electrical systems work fine. The manual says the fuse for the power windows must be re-set by a dealership technician. Is this correct? Could the motors for these windows be out?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

I don't know of any fuse that can be re-set.
The most likely cause of your problem is that your window motors are out. I just replaced two of these motors about two weeks ago. They are fairly easy to test once you get to them. You have to take a lot of the interior trim out to get at them but then you just check to see if they are getting voltage to the motors when you depress the switch. If you are then the motors are probably bad.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Page 237 of the Owner's Manual says,"The Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Windshield Washers and Engine Relays are fused with self resetting fuses taht are only serviceable by an authorized dealer." It seems strange that both passenger side windows went out at the same time and even more strange since the passenger side rear vent window has been used so little - we've probably not used that window more than a dozen times. Any other thoughts?
Lets make sure I understand what is going on.
The left front power window does not work and both of the rear quarter windows do not work. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO. Please see my initial question. The PASSENGER window and the PASSENGER SIDE rear window, which tilts out only a few inches, do not work. They both quit working at the same time. The DRIVER SIDE windows both work fine.
OK thanks for the clarification. Since some of your windows work that means that the fuses are fine (there is not seperate fuses for the left and right side).
Do the windows work when you use the switch on the passenger side? If they don't then most likely there is a problem in the master switch in the drivers door. This would not be too hard for a good tech to diagnose as all they would have to do is check to see if there is power coming out of the switch when the buttons are pressed.
Does this all make sense?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
No problem, do you have any other questions about this problem?