CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

1999 XK8: with 80000 mile on it but I worry about all the hype

I''m looking at a 1999 XK8 with 80000 mile on it but I worry about all the hype of how unreliable they are. Is any of this true, or is is mostly hype?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

As with any car make, there are plenty of people to say good things and bad things about any car. I think for the most part it just depends on the specific car you it has been taken care of, if it has been serviced properly, etc.
As for this year of Jaguars they seem to have some problems that I will list below, but overall I personally would not call them "unreliable".

Automatic transmission: The company is replacing the 5-speed automatic transmissions whenever they are in the shop for other service due to an unspecified problem that could lead to a failure. (1999)
Seat: Chafing of the wiring harness near the seatback may cause failed power seat fuses. A harness repair kit is available. (1997-99)

Let me know if you need anything else.