Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

2002 Mazda Tribute: brakes..grinding..We had the pads and rotors

Customer Question

We have a 2002 Mazda Tribute and recently the brakes were grinding and grabbing. We had the pads and rotors replaced but it seems there was a problem with the anti-lock brakes. Now it seems the anti-lock brakes are kicking in at just about every stop. When we took it back to the repair shop, they said there was something else wrong and that they couldn''t diagnose and fix it.   Any ideas what may be causing this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

In my experience with the slow speed ABS activation on the Tribute I have ALWAYS found that one of the front reluctor wheels was cracked on the axle. If you jack the vehicle up and look inside the front wheel you will see a toothed ring that is around the end of the axle. Look VERY carefully at this ring while turning the axle, you will find that one or maybe both have a crack in the ring. You will notice the crack because 2 of the teeth will be further apart than the others. Use a bright flashlight to help you find the broken ring. Once you figure our which axle has the broken ring you will need to replace the axle. I have not found a manufacturer for only the ring.