Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

1997 Ford Taurus: evaporator..accumulator/dryer..popped..low side line

Customer Question

I am trying to remove the high side A/C line from the evaporator at the firewall of a 1997 Ford Taurus. I have already removed the lines at the accumulator/dryer and the lowside line at the firewall. I used the spring coupler on them and they both popped right off. the low side line on the other hand is not budging. I have been pulling on it the only way I know how and just can't get the spring to disengage. Any ideas? I have everything I need to put the system back together and am racing the clock to beat the rain. I really want to finish this today and the only thing standing in my way is that stupid flange.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

hello!

When these types of couplers become stuck, they can be difficult to remove (as you have discovered).

What usually works is the following:

(1) Spray a generous amount of a good penetrating oil such as aerokroil, PB blaster, or WD40 into the coupling to saturate it.

(2) Then, use a heat gun (not a torch or other high heat source that could damage the metal) and heat the coupling to expand the outer shell. Spray more lubricant into the coupling.

(3) Twist the lines in opposite directions to break loose the frozen metal

(4) Push the coupling tighter together as much as possible; this allows room for the garter spring to expand freely when the release tool is inserted

(5) Now, inset the release tool and make sure it is fully seated. Then, holding the tool tightly in position separate teh connection using a twisting motion as you pull.

This works in almost all cases, with a little patience and a lot of penetrating oil

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: OK, other than setting the firewall on fire, and having the engine compartment filled with dust from the fire extinguisher, it isn't working. who would have thought that a hair dryer could cause wd40 to ignite? How can I use a twisting motion, I can barely get one hand in there to pull on the release tool?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

There really is no other secret way to get these couplers apart;

If it is corroded too tightly to be able to twist it loose, then the only other option would be to cut the outer part off using a dremel or some similiar tool, and replace the line as part of the job.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
hello!
I have noticed that you have not yet responded and your question is still open.
If you still need assistance with this question, please let me knoe.
If not, then please click the accept button to close out the question...
Thanks!