CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

Crossfire: both the drivers and pass airbags..seatbelt..assemblies

Customer Question

05 crossfire was in an accident which deployed both the drivers and pass airbags. I replaced both of them along with the clockspring and seatbelt assemblies. Before I put the fuse back in to power up this system is ther any other thing I need to do. Do not want to deploy new airbags
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

As long as you have everything hooked up right you should be fine. This is what the service manual says you should do:

The following procedure should be performed using a DRBIII(R) scan tool to verify proper supplemental restraint system (SRS) operation following the service or replacement of any SRS component.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, DRIVER AIRBAG, PASSENGER AIRBAG, SIDE IMPACT SENSOR OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. During the following test, the battery negative cable remains disconnected and isolated, as it was during the SRS component removal and installation procedures.
  2. Connect the DRBIII(R) to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
  3. Exit the vehicle but maintain contact with the DRBIII(R).
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
  5. Check to be certain that there are no occupants in the vehicle, then reconnect the battery negative cable.
  6. Using the DRBIII(R), read and record any active (current) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) data.
  7. Next, use the DRBIII(R) to read and record any stored (historical) DTC data.
  8. If any DTCs are found,
  9. Use the DRBIII(R) to erase any stored DTC data.
  10. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position for approximately fifteen seconds , and then back to the On position. Observe the airbag warning indicator in the instrument cluster for proper operation.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do not have a DRBIII. Is there any way to check without bringing it back to the dealer
The service manual does not show any other way. Most likely they will be fine, but if you want to be completely sure I would have them check it out.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Your answer does not help me at all. I always had the option to bring the car to the dealer to be checked. I do not own or have access to a DBRIII
Your question was:

"Before I put the fuse back in to power up this system is ther any other thing I need to do."

I answered your question...yes, there is something you need to do. I'm sorry that you don't have access to the needed tools, but if you want to be sure everything is alright then that is what needs to be done.
I'm sorry you don't find this helpful. I will opt out and let another expert try to help you.