Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

2001 Grand am: SE. I recently replaced the battery..10 min

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Grand am SE. I recently replaced the battery and now the car won''t start. I did the " turn the key and leave for 10 Min" option 4 x. To no avail. The security light stays on. It does not flash. Now I don''t have a security light and the car still won''t start. I used a snap -on solus computer to retrieve. any codes and there is not any... Running out of option. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

First, disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes. Then reconnect the battery and try the theft learn again. Make sure you are turning the key all the way to start and then releasing as per the instructions below. I have had people that turned the key to run and waited 10 minutes but this will not work. You must go all the way to start and then release the key.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required:

None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. However I've had this problem before, and have done this procedure many times. I do understand that you have to turn the key all the way to start and release. I just feel something else is missing. Like I mentioned the security light is off, and the car still doesn't start. I've checked relays for the fuel pump. I'm guessing it needs a BCM. I'd just like to know if any codes can be retreived. Using a SNAP-ON Solus... Because of the battery diconnect. Its showing NO CODES....   ALSO THE CAR HAS CANADIAN HISTORY.... Maybe there is a different technique????
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
Did you disconnect the battery and try the procedure again? I have run into different vehicles over the years that would lock up the modules from voltage spikes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I Did many variations to that procedure. I to ran into the same problems
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
This problem started after the battery replacement? You did not have this problem beforehand?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
correct.... No problems what so ever before...
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

Ok, lets start from the beginning.

Do you hear the fuel pump run at all?

Does the starter crank at all?

If so, does it start and stall or just crank?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes. yes and it starts and stalls