CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

5 GMC: cylinder..Isuzu..dip stick..the upper part of the dipstick

I''ve got a W-5 GMC box truck with a 6 cylinder Isuzu diesel. I am showing a little creXXXXX XXXXX stuff on the bottom 1/8th in. of the dip stick and a few water droplets on the upper part of the dipstick. The oil filler cap also has the same gray stuff on it. I just bought it and drove this truck about 600 miles then checked the oil, everything looked good. Again at about 1300 miles then I noticed this gray stuff. I then took the oil filler cap off and wiped it off put it back on, in about 30 min. there was water droplets on the cap, the truck had been just shut down and was not running after I cleaned the cap. I then drained the oil to see if there was water on the bottom but didn''t seem to find any. I did notice when I would stop to fuel up some times there was water that had come out of the coolant canister overflow splattered around. This truck was working very little as it was empty. It did seem to heat the cab as well. Is this a bad head gasket?????
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

Does your coolant level go down?
Do you see any external leaks?
Does your truck overheat?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No coolant seems to stay up. No external leaks. the fan does kick on and off even though it was not loaded but I figure just the normal amount.
Does it overheat?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
A bad head gasket will almost always cause overheating. Your symptoms do not point to a bad head gasket. The water droplets could just be condensation. If you are having no driveability issues then I would just drive your truck. Keep and eye on the coolant and check the oil to see if the level goes up. If there is water leaking into it the level will rise.
If you want to be sure you can take it to a repair shop and they can do a pressure test to see if the cooling system is holding pressure. They could also test to see if there is exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Let me know if you need anything else.