DCM
DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic
157834

1997 seville: blown headgasket and is knocking.

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Seville STS. It has a blown headgasket and is knocking. I have purchase a 2004 engine and transmission complete on the K frame. What is needed to switch out the motors? I know I need to use all of the electrical harness from the 1997. Can I strip the block down to a long block and use the rest of the accesories from the 1997? What needs to happen and can this be done? What are the differences between the motors?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could someone please answer this post or reccomend someone who can.

Thanks,
C
Expert:  DCM replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA.

What I recomend you is match the Smog system of the old engine to the new one, if there is no diffence then you are ok with the engine, I know for sure the engine is swapable, either everything or, you'll need to pull one from the other and add it to the one you're going to use. You can not use the tranmission of the 2004 it gear on speed sensor, will not match on the one that is program to the PCM. if 97 is a short block, and 2004 is long block, you may want to match the motor mount as well, and the transmission holes, make sure they are the same, to save you some time.