SuperDave Auto
SuperDave Auto, ASE Master Auto and Truck Tech
Experience:  25+ Years Shop Owner; Ase Master Tech

2003 Ford Explorer: V8..4WD..air bag light stays on..dealership

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, V8, 4WD, Eddie Bauer truck that the air bag light stays on. Why is the light staying on and can it be repair by someone besides the dealership?
Category: Car
Expert:  SuperDave Auto replied 8 years ago.

As long as you have not been in a recent accident and deployed the airbags, most likely you have a bad clockspring assembly within the steering column. Most any trusted repair facility can do this. Proper diagnostics need to be performed with an approporiate scan tool and diagnostic trouble tree once codes are read. Proper verificationof your problem will save you money in the long run. I'd take this to a shop before attempting this at home. Moderate to difficult in the diagnostics as well as the repair.

Good Luck. Please press ACCEPT. Also, If I have been helpful, please leave positive feedback. This is how we are judged. Thank You. Dave.