CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

2004 Dodge Ram 1500: dome light..the sensors are for the doors that

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. The dome light will not shut off. Also, can you tell me where the sensors are for the doors that would activate the dome light. Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

Here is a description of the dome lamps from the service manual:

The dome lamp is controlled by the instrument cluster which provides power at all times, regardless of the ignition switch position The ground circuit for the lamp is switched through the integral dome lamp switch or through the door ajar switches via the instrument cluster

The dome lamp lens and bulb are available for service replacement If either of the lamp switch or bulb holders is faulty or damaged, the dome lamp assembly must be replaced

For service of the dome lamp bulb, refer to the appropriate wiring information.

The dome lamp is activated by the door ajar switches via the instrument cluster. When all of the doors are closed, the lamp can be activated by depressing the lens. When any door is open, depressing the lamp lense to activate the lamp switch will not turn the lamps off

The instrument cluster monitors the door ajar switches When a door is open the instrument cluster grounds the low side drivers to turn on the lamp Upon closing all doors, the instrument cluster initiates a 30 second timer If any of the doors are opened during the "time out" cycle, the instrument cluster will reset the timer until all doors are closed The instrument cluster will failed to off when the doors are closed and the ignition is turned ON, the time out expires or the power locks are activated.

Here is the location of the door switches:
graphic

Let me know if you need anything else.