SuperDave Auto
SuperDave Auto, ASE Master Auto and Truck Tech
Experience:  25+ Years Shop Owner; Ase Master Tech

4Runner: intermitently..Clutch Pedal..Ignition Lock..the solenoid

I have a ''93 4Runner, 5 speed, which starts intermitently. When I press the Clutch Pedal Ignition Lock Switch I will get a click from the solenoid but only at a certain point while pressing the switch. Sometimes it starts and sometimes not. I think it''s this switch because it seems playing with the clutch pedal eventually allows it to start. Help...
Category: Car
Expert:  SuperDave Auto replied 8 years ago.

My guess is that you need a starter. But, anything is possible. If you hear clutch switch each and every time (it is supposed to be about 3/4 the way adjusted down - to hear it), then the switch is good. AND, they don't go bad often. My guess above .... is because if the solenoid portion of the starter is bad or going bad, after trying a few times, it will "arc" itself in to working until one day it will no longer work at all.

Good Luck. Please press ACCEPT. Also, If I have been helpful, please leave positive feedback. This is how we are judged. Thank You. Dave.