westrope65
westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
8635606

How to diagnost & Change speed sensor for 01 Hyundai

2001 Hyundai-Elantra, has a code that says problem with speed sensor. I need to know where it is located,how to check it and how to replace it if necessary
Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR
The vehicle speed sensor is a reed switch that is built into the speedometer. The sensor converts the transaxle gear revolutions into a pulse signal which is sent to the ECM.

Circuit Description
The vehicle speed sensor, located on the speedometer driven gear in the transaxle, generates pulse signals that indicate the vehicle's speed and provides signals to the control modules to calculate the vehicle speed.

The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) intermittently grounds the circuits. The number of pulses per minute increase/decrease with the speed of the car.

Testing and Inspection

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

Circuit Diagram
graphic
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS
If there is an open or short circuit in the vehicle speed sensor signal circuit, the engine may stall when the vehicle decelerates to a stop.

Harness Inspection Procedures
graphic

graphic

hope this helps.______________
PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Somewhat helpful in it's location, Thanks. How do you replace it if not to difficult or should I take it to the dealer.(really trying to avoid expensive repairs) This is stopping me from getting inspection sticker for my car.

I feel this is not a bad do it yourself project. I am not sure nad cannot tell from the instructions I feel ti is bolted in. Watch carefully some have gears on the end. Sorry I could not tell you more.