ikiaguy, Technician
Experience:  ase a6 electrical 8 years of experience

Tires rotated..front tires..worn..20,000 miles, if I leave them

I just bought all 4 new tires 6000 miles ago. I went to get my tires rotated yesterday, and noticed my both front tires were much more worn than my back ones. It looked like the tires could go toally bald within 20,000 miles, if I leave them on front.   The rep. at Discount Tires told me to check my alignment, but the tyres were worn evenly, and my car does not pull to the left or right when I drive without holding my steering wheel. Can this be an alignment problem? If not, what do you thing could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  ikiaguy replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer This could very well be an alignment issue! The toe is the adjustment made to point the tires, they could both be pointing in or out. It is recomended that you align the car every 15k or so. Another factor is tire pressures, maintaining proper tire pressure assures even wear on the tires. Driving conditions and habits are the biggest factor, if you do a lot of city driving where you are turning a lot, or high speed cornering also contribute to tire wear. But remember, you are having them rotated for this same reason, tires left on the front will wear out sometimes 2 or 3 times as fast as the rears! The final factor is the tires themselves. You get what you pay for!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ikiaguy's Post: My tires come with 65,000 miles warranty, and I have only dirven 6000 miles on this set of new tires. The thread on my front tires looked like will last only 1/3 as long. I do drive mostly in the city, but I never do any aggressive driving.
As for the toe issue, I did not detect any rough edges on my tire threads at any direction.
Can this tire-wear be a synptom of something other than an alignment problem?
Expert:  ikiaguy replied 8 years ago.

That 65000 mile warranty doesnt mean they will last that long, onlt that if they do, they will not have a defect in that time. The only other thing that can cause poor wear would be bad struts, but even then the tires would likely be rough.