Donny
Donny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Over 25 years working in Chrysler dealers, Top tech DaimlerChrysler 1998

2003 Chrysler Town & Country: The Front Blower Motor is on High Speed

I have 2003 Chrysler Town & Country with Automatic Climate Control. The Front Blower Motor is on High Speed and will not go to a lower speed. When the unit is turned off on the dash it continues to run a high speed, but it appears everything else is working. What do you believe the problem is?
Category: Car
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

The blower control module has most likely failed, default position of system with failure full blower, to replace

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

WARNING: THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR MAY GET VERY HOT DURING NORMAL OPERATION. IF THE BLOWER MOTOR WAS TURNED ON, WAIT FIVE MINUTES TO ALLOW THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR TO COOL BEFORE PERFORMING DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THIS PRECAUTION CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

CAUTION: Do not operate the blower motor with the blower motor resistor removed from the circuit. Failure to take this precaution can result in vehicle damage.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Open the glove box.
  3. Flex both sides of the glove box bin inward near the top far enough for the rubber glove box stop bumpers to clear the sides of the glove box opening, then roll the glove box downward.
  4. Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the blower motor resistor from the resistor connector receptacle
  5. Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the blower motor pigtail wire connector from the resistor connector receptacle.
  6. Remove the two screws that secure the blower motor resistor to the evaporator housing.
  7. Remove the blower motor resistor from the evaporator housing.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - HEATER-A/C CONTROL CALIBRATION

The heater-A/C control module must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor or the control module is replaced. If the vehicle is so equipped, the calibration procedure also includes rear HVAC positions for each actuator motor.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
  2. Simultaneously depress and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the heater-A/C control for at least five seconds. The manual heater-A/C control power Light Emitting Diode (LED) and Recirculation LED, or the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) heater-A/C control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.
  3. The calibration procedure should take less than two minutes to complete for the manual heater-A/C control, and less than twenty seconds for the ATC heater-A/C control. When the LEDs or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete.
  4. If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the normal three minute (manual) or twenty second (ATC) calibration time, it indicates that the heater-A/C control has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set

1 - BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR
2 - INSTRUMENT PANEL WIRE HARNESS
3 - SCREW (2)
4 - GLOVE BOX OPENING LOWER REINFORCEMENT
5 - BLOWER MOTOR PIGTAIL WIRE
6 - EVAPORATOR HOUSING

I hope that this helps you

If you need more information or help just let me know

Thank you

Donny

Donny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Over 25 years working in Chrysler dealers, Top tech DaimlerChrysler 1998