CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

95 mazda millenia: that will run fine..thermostat..coolant sensor

i have a 95 mazda millenia that will run fine without the thermostat. I have replaced the temp. sensor and coolant sensor, and tried two new 180 degree thermostats. With the thermostat in the car top hose gets hot bottom hose cool. temp gage goes to hot. stats seem to stay closed.
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

Was the original problem that your car would overheat?
Was it low on coolant?

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i got the car at an auction so i do not know it's history. It was not low on antifreeze but it over heated. With the thermostat out and fans running it's runs cool.
The first thing you should do is make sure there is no air in the system. If you top off your coolant then start your engine and let it run and get hot (but not quite to overheating) then stop your engine and let it cool off and top off the coolant again and do this until it doesn't take any more it should get the air out. Sometimes you can jack up the front of your car and start it and let it warm up and it will get the air out.
If none of this helps then you need to start having some other tests done. You should have a block test done. It will tell you if you have exhaust gasses in your cooling system.
You should also have a pressure test done. This will tell you if there is any coolant leaking anywhere. After these are done you will have a much better idea of what is going on.

Let me know if you need anything else.
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i had the pressure test done - no leaks.
Have you tried bleeding the air out of the system?
Do the cooling fans come on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, already tried that - raised front of vehicle before filling same results - overheated without thermostat opening.
How do you know the thermostat is not opening?
Are the cooling fans coming on?
Are the heater hoses hot?
Are both of the radiator hoses hot?