Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

2001 Chrysler: brake lights..Taillights..Bulbs are all good

Customer Question

2001 Chrysler 300M...Two brake lights are not working, one on the left and one one on the right. Taillights all work. Bulbs are all good. Power to one side of the socket...not to the other. Only two wires to the socket...one must be ground. Do the dual filament bulbs have both filaments working off only a single hot contact in the socket?
Category: Car
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer I am sending the wiring for the stop and tail lamps for your car.You should have power coming in on the white /tan wire with the brakes applied,the black/yellow is the tail lamps, power there with the tail lights turned on. It shows a black as the ground. The bulbs have 2 filaments and share the ground,you can have one filament burnt out . If you have power at the white tan with the brakes applied you either have a burnt filament, or a problem with the ground.Here is the diagram,Jerry.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Roadside Jerry's Post: Thanks for your effort. The problem was not electrical. Chrysler 300M for 2001 only used two sockets in each lens assembly for brake lights, the ourt and the middle sochets. My brake lights were working correctly, only in the "wrong" position. The body shop used a different year lens assembly with a different lighting pattern giving me the impression that two of the brake lights were not working. I assummed that all three sockets were supposed to illuminate when the brakes were applied. I should have picked that up when I noticed that two sockets in each assembly has three wires and one has only two wires. The ones with three wires are brakes and tailights.
It does show the socket with the 2 wires in the diagram I sent . I didn't see that you had had parts replaced or that the car was repaired by a body shop. You had what is called a self induced problem,frequent ly happeens after repairs are made at a body shop. Glad you found the problem.Jerry.