CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

1999 Bonneville: intake gaskets..I purchased a used engine..carfax

I had to have intake gaskets replace on my 1999 Bonneville 3.8 for a cost of $750.00. Two months later the engine failed. I purchased a used engine with 37000 miles (carfax checked). I last only a few hundred miles and the engine failed.
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

What is your question?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Optional Information:
1999 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8

What more info do you need?
I need to know what you are asking. What question am I supposed to be answering?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well with 2 engine failures within a month there has got to be something that caused it.

Do you have any idea or suggestion as to what may have caused this. Both engines lost oil pressure and started knocking.
In the case of your first engine there was probably coolant that got into the oil then it most likely started rusting the bearings out of it. I've seen this happen more than once and it is always a chance you take when you have an internal coolant leak.
As for the second engine even though you had a carfax check and it seemed like a good engine, you still don't know what had been done to it. For all you know the exact same thing could have happened. Intake manifolds gaskets are a common thing to go bad on these engines.
There is nothing extranally that can cause your engine to lose oil pressure and start knocking. There had to be a problem inside both engines. So unfortunately I think you just replaced your bad engine with another bad engine.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.