RMillerPhD
RMillerPhD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year of import auto repair, Owned and operated a Repair shop and Automotive Machine Shop
9205943

why is my new chevy 350 overheating ive replaced the ...

why is my new chevy 350 overheating? ive replaced the thermostat twice and it does great for a day or two, then overheats again. the motor was installed approximately 150-175 miles ago.

You have many options with today’s internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

The following items could be causing the overheating.

1. head gasket not sealing properly or install backwards
2. Radiator not allowing enough water to circulate (plugged) or cool (fan might not be pulling enough air).
3. An air pocket in the top of the engine not working out of the cooling system.

I use an infrared thermometer to trace these types of problems you can pin point circulation problems by observing the temperature changes through the different systems. You can purchase them for about $50 these days or borrow one.

Sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXX, Ph.D.

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX find and air pocket the first time, and took care of it. one of mu friends said probably the fan, and now that i think of it i havent heard it blowing but it rotates slowly but to where you cant see the blades. and it did fine off roading all yesterday. but i am definately going to buy a fan clutch tomorrow, once again thanks a million!!!
We are here to help; just let us know when you need help.