Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

what happens when a water pump goes bad

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
There are three things that I could see happen from a faulty water pump. 1st would be a simple bearing failure causing for the pump to begin to be noisy. The second would be externally leaking. This would be cause by the pump simply wearing out and leaking through the mainshaft, or seep holes. The third thing could possibly be the actual impeller eroding away causing no coolant flow to cool the engine. These items all could cause for a leak of the cooling system, and overheating. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good Luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so would that cuase the antifreeze to get real hot and spill into the overflow?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Yes that could cause for that type of trouble. I would advise you to let the car cool down, tops the radiator off and then let the engine run with the radiator cap off. When the coolant reaches the operating temp you should see coolant flow in the radiator. If this does not happen, you may want to remove the water pump, and the cover on the back side to examine the water pump impeller. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!