OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

1994 Jeep Cherokee Country: Alternator..get the old one out

How do you replace a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country Alternator? Can''t seem to get the old one out?
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomerand thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Removal & Installation

Once the determination is made that the alternator is at fault, off vehicle testing can be used to determine the defective component inside the alternator.

See Figures 1 through 11

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the drive belt.

3. If necessary, remove any splash shielding for easier access to the alternator.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: For easiest access to the alternator assembly, first remove the splash shield mounting fasteners ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: ... then swing it out of the way for access to the alternator assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: View of the alternator electrical connections-(A) battery positive, (B) field terminals, (C) wire harness hold down, (D) ground terminal

1. Tag and disengage the alternator wiring.

It may be necessary to remove the alternator and mounting bracket from the vehicle as an assembly.

1. If equipped, remove the front alternator assembly mounting plate.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the six nuts and bolts that secure the front mounting plate to the alternator assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the front alternator assembly mounting plate from below the vehicle

1. Unfasten the alternator mounting and pivot bolts and remove the alternator.

2. If installing the original alternator assembly, push out the pivot bushing as illustrated.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: After removing the alternator assembly front mounting plate, remove the front engine-to-alternator bracket mounting stud

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Remove the two alternator bracket-to-engine mounting bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Remove the alternator and mounting bracket assembly from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: If re-installing, the alternator has a pivot bushing on the pivot arm that should be pushed out before installation

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Mount a C-clamp and 18mm socket on the alternator pivot bushing ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: ... then compress the C-clamp until it pushes the alternator pivot bushing out

To install:

1. Mount the alternator to the brackets with the nuts and bolts. Tighten the two mounting bolts and nuts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

2. If the alternator and mounting bracket were removed as an assembly, install the assembly into the vehicle.

3. If removed, install the front mounting plate.

4. Engage the alternator electrical connections.

5. If removed, install the splash shield.

6. Install the drive belt and attach the negative battery cable.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this the removal for a Jepp Cherokee Alternator or junst general, it is so far downi the cavity?

it's for the jeep cherokke