Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

I have a 1997 Buick Lesabre. The security light stays ...

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Buick Lesabre. The security light stays on (never goes out), however the car still starts and drives. I would like to know if you can provide a schematic of the anti-theft system for this year and can I reset the system without taking it to the dealer. I have replaced the receiver and the light blinks, but the car does not cut off. I do not want to override the system, I want to repair it myself if possible.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

Look at the below documents I believe they will help.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to high tech's Post: I believe that I've added the wrong information. I have a 1997 Lesabre Custom. I believe that I only have the Pass Key II system, not the other features. I had the key checked at the dealership and it tested fine. The security light stays on until I put in a new module, then the security light blinked constantly, however the car didn't shut down.
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
My diagram shows that this car has both systems, I would check to see if this is correct because if you have a pass key II problem it would not run normally. With the fault that I have looked up it would. Let me know. The limited and the custom have the same systems. Sorry for the confusion.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for the swift reply and the great service. I look forward to using the site again.
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Where is the RAC module located. I have removed what I believed was the RAC located behind the storage compartment on the passenger side of the car. I did not find the light blue wire on the schematic. I did remove the door panel and I did not see the tamper switch. I may just be looking in the wrong area.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the very bottom parts of the schematic were cut off when copied
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
The RAC module should be behind the right side of the instrument panel the two diagrams are the same diagram only in two pages so I could make them bigger.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was not able to solve the problem, is there anything else that may be causing this problem. The car is still operational and the security light stays on. I did check the pass key module by disconnecting it, and as you've stated, the car didn't start. I reconnected the module and the car started. I believe that this problem is as you've stated. When referring to the key cylinder switches I believe that it is the switch that is used to lock and unlock the door and it sits on a removal panel as part of the door panel. I may have been adding to much to a simple solution. I still could not find the tamper switches.
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
If you were able to find the RAC module then you should test the following terminals E5,E4,E12,E13,E11,F10,E10 these should be labeled on the connector (very small usually on the side were the wires go into the connector) If any of these wires have a ground you will need to follow it on the diagram and see why it is grounded ( they should not show ground). the tamper switches are a part of the door locks and latches. I would unplug the switch to see if the ground goes away if it does the switch is bad, if it does not you likely have a wire grounded. Test to see if they are grounded with the RAC unpluged, test at the RAC.