Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

2001 dodge Caravan 3.3 v-6 . Need to change Water pump.I ...

Customer Question

2001 dodge Caravan 3.3 v-6 . Need to change Water pump.I ''ve got the belt off, & the pulley loosened from the pump. Can''t get the pulley completely off the pump ue to limited space between the car''s engine wall and the pump body. I''ve tried jacking the engine up with front engine mount removed,letting the engine drop with the front engine mount removed. I still can''t get the needed clearance to remove pump (with dangling pulley ) completly out of pump body. Help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

The water pump pulley has three slots in it to allow you to align it with the front drive hub of the pump and slide it in towards the pump and then you work around it to remove the bolts and then the pump and pulley together, this is tight and annoying I have fought with a few of these, it will come out with the pulley dangling off the drive hub you just need to take your time and find the sweet spot

REMOVAL

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt shield.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. Remove water pump pulley bolts

NOTE: To remove the water pump pulley, it MUST first be positioned between water pump housing and drive hub. The pulley can then be removed with the water pump assembly.

5. Rotate pulley until openings in pulley align with water pump drive hub spokes Move pulley inward between pump housing and hub
  6. Position pulley to allow access to water pump mounting bolts. Remove water pump mounting bolts
  7. Remove water pump with the pulley loosely positioned between hub and the pump body.
  8. Remove and discard the seal.
  9. Clean seal groove and sealing surfaces on pump and timing chain case cover. Take care not to scratch or gouge sealing surfaces.

1 - HUB - WATER PUMP
2 - PULLEY - WATER PUMP

I hope that this helps you

If you need more information just let me know

Thank you

Donny

1 - WATER PUMP
2 - BOLTS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All that is done. up to the part of finding the sweet spot. I 've been trying to fing the sweet spot for hours now.
Expert:  Derrick replied 6 years ago.

Hi thereXXXXX

It looks like Donny has hopped offline for the time being, I have done these water pumps a bunch of times and can be a pain in the butt if you dont know "the secret"!

Once you get everything off, and are pulling the pump and pully out, you need to pry the motor to the side with a prybar, that is the only way I have seen it successfully done, and that is how I do it. I dont think it will work any other way.

It will be close, but it will just barely come out. It is easiest with one person prying and the other pulling the pump out.

Also, a little tip when putting it back in, put the pump in first, then pry the motor to get the pulley in.

I hope this helps! Please give the accept to Donny, I was just helping him out!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Derrick

Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try that again.
Expert:  Derrick replied 6 years ago.

I use a huge prybar with the car up on the rack and can get the motor pryed out of the way.

It will take some prying, and like I said it is definately easier with two people.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Derrick's Post: pry bar did the trick. Derrick said give you the credit
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hi

It is all good Derrick gave you the trick, i just went to grab some dinner

Just be careful not to slip with the pry bar, when I do it this way I remove the air cleaner housing and remove the two bolts that go straight down into the frame rail for the front engine mount (not the three that hold the motor mount together) it allows the motor to slide over a little easier, then when done push the mount back over to align it with the two holes and reinstall the bolts

Thanks

Donny