CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

location of starter relay on 1995 ford escort lx 1.9L engine

No Comment Added
Thanks for using Just Answer

Your car actually does not have a "starter relay" power goes through the ignition switch to the safety switch then to the starter solenoid.
I recommend you see if battery voltage is getting to your starter, then check the safety switch, and if it is all good then I would suspect the ignition switch.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have purchased a part - carquest stock #RY46
labeled "913157" described as a starter relay by the parts dealer I have been deaking with for 20yrs.. is this in fact a safety switch? The battery is good and the starter is new. Ther is definitelly enough power in the battery.
I'm going off of the factory service manual. Since it does not show this starter relay I have no idea what it could be. If it is labled as the relay, then you might want to call your parts guy and ask him where it goes. It is possible that the service manual is wrong, but not likely.
It is possible that this "relay" is just the starter solenoid.
It is doubtful that it is the safety switch because it should be labled as such.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Not a mechanic, a Technician's Post: I know.. I read the schematic and saw no relay. But if there is no relay.. (btw your right about the manual... try changing a thermostat on one of these vehicles!) I guess I'll call them or a Ford dealer and find out (though I want to hear a sales pitch about the Focus like I want to hear about the economy or Gov Spitzer) Why would they sell or make a part that doesnt exhist?
I was just looking for your part online and it looks like they might be labeling it as the starter relay when it is actually the fuel pump relay. Here is what I found:

It doesn't make much sense to me, but that might be what's going on. I'm sure the dealer would know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there's some kind of module mounted on the passenger side firewall that looks like it may work (no identifying #s of course.. only the Ford logo. The lead from the starter runs to it. I'll stick it in, say three Hail Marys slap in the battery , jump the piece of shit , turn the key and cross my fingers. Here we go!
Most relays are all the same so you can switch them all around.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So what are you saying? Good luck?
I'm just saying that this relay that you bought should plug in where any of the other relays fit. It won't hurt anything to put this relay in where the others are if it fits in.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!(LOL) your all right... wish we could put you on the Xmas card list. I'll let you know how I make out
Good Luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Not a mechanic, a Technician's Post: FYI it's the module mounted on the firewall closest to the passenger side fender. Installed it w/ no result. Finally asked my wife to turn the key while I "tapped" (beat on) the starter .
It worked! Tried to turn over afterwards succesfully. It also passed the "acid" test. 12 hrs overnight in 20 degree temps. However I intend to travel w/ my tool kit and portable jump starter just in case! Its a shame that such a simple thing as basic transportation powered by a simple 4 banger has become a complicated nightmare! God bless Detroit.
Great! I'm glad you got it working.
I suggest you replace your new start though. If the starter doesn't work until you tap on it that is a classic bad starter symptom.

Good luck!