Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left instrument panel (IP) insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement .
    Object Number: 326114  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  2. Remove the bolts from the bottom of the steering column opening panel.
  3. Pull the steering column opening panel rearward and upward unsnapping from the IP.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the driver information center (DIC), if equipped.
  5. Remove the steering column opening panel.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the electrical connector to the driver information center (DIC), if equipped.
    Object Number: 326114  Size: SH
  2. Align the steering column opening panel locating pins and the retainers clip to the slots in the IP.
  3. Press the steering column opening panel to lock in the retainers.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the bolts to the bottom of the steering column opening panel.

Tighten
    Tighten the steering column opening panel bolts to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

5. Install the left instrument panel insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement .
  6. Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left instrument panel insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement .
    2. Remove the steering column opening filler. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
      Object Number: 326098  Size: SH
    3. Remove the screws from the bottom of the instrument panel (IP) accessory trim plate.
    4. Pull the IP accessory trim plate rearward in order to release the retaining clips.
    5. Rotate the IP accessory trim plate rearward and up in to release the 2 tabs at the top edge.
    6. Disconnect the ash tray harness electrical connector from the IP harness.
    7. Remove the IP accessory trim plate from the instrument panel.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the ash tray harness electrical connector to the IP harness.
      Object Number: 326098  Size: SH
    2. Align the instrument panel (IP) accessory trim plate to the IP.
    3. Install the tabs into the IP retainers.
    4. Rotate the IP accessory trim plate forward and press clips into the retainers until fully seated.
    5. Install the IP accessory trim plate retaining screws.

Tighten
      Tighten the IP accessory trim plate screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

6. Install the steering column opening filler. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
    7. Install the left IP insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Replacement .
    8. Radio Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Cluster Trim Panel Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
      2. Remove the instrument panel accessory trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
        Object Number: 325453  Size: SH
      3. Remove the screws from the radio.
      4. Disconnect the electrical and the coaxial cable connectors from the radio.
      5. Remove the radio from the instrument panel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 325453  Size: SH
      1. Connect the electrical and the coaxial cable connectors to the radio.
      2. Install the radio to the instrument panel.

3. Install the screws to the radio.

Tighten
        Tighten the radio screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

4. Install the instrument panel cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Cluster Trim Panel Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
      5. Install the instrument panel accessory trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.