Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

how do you remove a freeze plug on a 1994 ford ranger 4.0L V6

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
Depends entirely on where the freeze plug is located and what needs to be removed to access it. On some of them especially the ones behind the fly wheel or flex plate, it is necessary to remove the transmission or pull the motor depending on what equipment and motor is involved. On others sometimes it is necessary to remove things like starters and motor mounts, etc. Basically to remove a freeze plug once you have access to it, you just punch a hole in the center of it and pry it out of the block. If it is left inside the water jacket, it can imped the flow of coolant and cause a restriction and over heating. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THE COOLANT IS LEAKING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE ,TOWARDS THE REAR. iS IT NECCESARY TO PULL THE ENGINE OR CAN I GET TO IT FROM UNDERNEATH VEHICLE?
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
Most of them can be done with the motor in the truck. Parts stores have a special tool that you can rent for installing them. The only trick is getting enough room to swing a hammer. And if you can't do that they make a freeze plug that is adjustable and can be installed with a wrench. It fits in the hole and you just tighten the center nut in the freeze plug to expand it. Once you get under the truck you should be able to tell if you can access it or not just by looking. Have you done a pressure test on the cooling system to be certain that it is a freeze plug that is leaking and not something else, like an intake manifold gasket or even an external head gasket leak or some silly hose? Remember the coolant is going to run down from the top and sometimes one thing will look like it is causing the leak when in fact it is something else. Just a thought. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
NO, I HAVEN'T DONE A PRESSURE CHECK YET, BUT FOR THE ADVICE. IF IT IS INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET OR EXTERNAL HEAD GASKET.....WOULD I HAVE AN INTERNAL LEAK
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
Not always, that's why I recommend the pressure test. The can leak just on the out side and not show anything in the oil etc just as easy as the other way. I suggest the test just so you can be sure before you get involved with tearing things apart or spending money on the wrong parts. If it is a freeze plug, even that will be much easier to identify with a pressure test. Just be sure you check the whole thing over when you do the test. Nothing worse than fixing one leak and thinking your done only to have another pop up 2 days later. Take your time and be thorough.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.
You are most welcome. Thanks for the accept and for using JA. Good luck with it and if you need help later, just drop me a note. Follow ups are included. Goodnight