Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

(1993 cadillac fleetwood broughm) the vats location having ...

Customer Question

(1993 cadillac fleetwood broughm) the vats location? having a problem gives a passkey fault. already bypassed ignition switch with resistors. still intermittent. have a vats module but no diagram for the pin locations on the vats module or on the ecm module.Can the vats function be programmed out?
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

Not sure if I understand.
If you already installed a Resistor, why do you need PIN location for the ByPass Module.
It would connect at the same place you put the resistor
Unless you have a different type ByPass Module, that is going to duplicate the CCM or replace it.

What ohm resistor did you use & where was it installed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
8.1k olhm as a jumper on the two wires comeing from the ignition switch. The bypass module that I have purchased says to connect it to pin E10, F10, A19, or D6 of the ecm/pcm. But I don't have a pin diagram of the connectors on the ecm.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

That resistance value is not correct for a VATS ByPass
There are only 15 Resistor Values that GM used for the VATS.
The resistor has to be within 2% total Value & is spliced between the 2 thin White wires that is usually found inside a Orange tube coming from the Ignition Switch & you need to cut the wire going to the Ignition switch to make it work.

graphic

There are no Pins of those type at the ECM/PCM:

graphic

graphic

graphic

Experience: Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is the place where I spliced the wires and added the jumper. The resistor pack that I installed read 11,801 ohlms. so it was within the 2% required. I was still intermittent. Can it be programmed out of the ecm eprom.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
No, there is no programming for that.
As stated, if you used the Resistor, one of the White wires have to be cut to take the Ignition Switch "reader" out, so the computer is only reading the Resistor you installed & not the Key resistor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes that is where I cut the wires, they were inside a shrink tubing. I took the ignition switch out of the equation. I splced them from one to the other going back to the ecm.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Then I would say the CCM is defective.
If you look at the wiring schematic, you can probably jumper the Starter Relay, but the signal to the Fuel Pump will be the problem.
You may want to have the system checked prior to doing any other work, to be sure the CCM is at fault
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The vats bypass module that I purchased is for initializing the fuel. I can already initialize the starter.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
O.K...?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry but this is where I am. I have already tried all of your suggestions other than to take it to the dealer. I am sure when I do that, it probably won't fail and I'll have to pay for another deadend.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

Not really.
I saw nothing of you replacing the CCM & rerogramming it.

I still don't know what ByPass you are refering to for the ECM??
None of the pins are identified as you show.

The VATS is controlled by the CCM & Fuel turn on has to have a logic (resistance) output to the Fuel Pump control unit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought a vats bypass module form baker electronics. it provides a signal that allow the fuel ingevtors to recieve fuel. However you still have to bypass the starter. I can get the car to crank, but I couldn't find the location for the signal wire to the fuel enable. The locations provided by Baker Electronics were the pin locations that I stated in the beginning.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the added information:

D8 is the Fuel enable wire in the ECM. Black or Brown 32 pin Plug. Pin Location Ckt. 229, Dark Blue wire

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I am at work right know but I'll try wiring it to that wire on the ecm. I didn't know the location of thatpin since the locations that they provided were totally different.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
There is nothing that says the ByPass will work on your vehicle either. It will depend on the signal it generates
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I ordered on that generates both signals a 30 hz and a the other type of signal
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All the info provided was things that I had already tried. however I am greatful for the electrical diagrams that you provided, this was helpful in at least identifying the pin locations on the ecm. thanks