Greg
Greg, Shop Owner/Lead Tech
Experience:  22yrs Exp. ASE Cert. Brakes, Elect/Electronics ,Eng.Performance., Heat/A/C,Engine Repair

evap core from a 95 Silverado WITHOUT removing the entire dashboard

Is there an easier way to remove the evap core from a '95 Silverado WITHOUT removing the entire dashboard/instruement panel?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 6 years ago.
Hello,Customer I WISH. There simply is no other way to get to it! Is this something you were going to try yourself? If so do you have A/C experience?
Greg, Shop Owner/Lead Tech
Experience: 22yrs Exp. ASE Cert. Brakes, Elect/Electronics ,Eng.Performance., Heat/A/C,Engine Repair
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I was contemplating doing it myself and no, I have no A/C experience. I've already had the A/C repaired once just a few weeks ago. The replaced a switch under the hood. I'm more inclined to replace the entire system rather than piece meal it.
Expert:  Greg replied 6 years ago.
I do ALOT of A/C work on chev trucks. Out of the literally thousands I have encountered Only a couple of them have actually had leaking evap cores. Can you tell me more detail about the problems you have? I might be able to help you more. the compressor is the #1 failure on these, #2 is the hose assembly leaking, if compressor failure occurs you have to replace the condensor along with the compressor accumulator and oriface tube. Unless some one has POSITIVELY detected a leak in the evaporator core then I would not replace it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It lost all pressure/coolant about 6 weeks ago. The local replaced the pressure switch and recharged (I can only assume they were smart enough to evac first); now its not cooling again. I can only guess there is another leak somewhere. My original plan was to not nickle and dime it since it is a '95. I thought replace the entire system. Now, I think I'll have it checked and worse case (if the leak is under the hood), do what you suggest - compressor, drier, tube, evac it and charge again. Sound like a plan?